Founder/CEO succession in a public company context
Matt Goldberg, CEO, TripAdvisor
- Tripadvisor, Inc. (NASDAQ: TRIP), founded in 2000 by Steve Kaufer, grew into one of the internet’s beloved consumer brands serving 450 million users worldwide.
- At the end of 2021, founder/CEO Kaufer announced his resignation and the start of a search for his successor.
- Tripadvisor’s board, led by controlling shareholder Liberty Media and Liberty’s CEO Greg Maffei, selected SRI to conduct the global search.
- Finding a successor to a founder/CEO who’d been at the helm for over 20 years.
- A next generation leader who could combine scaled consumer internet skills with expertise in a two-sided marketplace business.
- A leader who could drive innovation at the business model level
- Matt Goldberg has served in various leadership roles in the digital content, media and entertainment, and travel industries, and in both B2B and direct-to-consumer models at companies such as News Corp, Liberty Interactive Corp, Lonely Planet, and Dow Jones.