Founder/CEO succession in a public company context
Matt Goldberg, CEO, TripAdvisor
- Tripadvisor, Inc. (NASDAQ: TRIP), founded in 2000 by Steve Kaufer, grew into one of the internet’s beloved consumer brands serving 450 million users worldwide.
- At the end of 2021, founder/CEO Kaufer announced his resignation and the start of a search for his successor.
- Tripadvisor’s board, led by controlling shareholder Liberty Media and Liberty’s CEO Greg Maffei, selected SRI to conduct the global search.
- Finding a successor to a founder/CEO who’d been at the helm for over 20 years.
- A next generation leader who could combine scaled consumer internet skills with expertise in a two-sided marketplace business.
- A leader who could drive innovation at the business model level
- Matt Goldberg has served in various leadership roles in the digital content, media and entertainment, and travel industries, and in both B2B and direct-to-consumer models at companies such as News Corp, Liberty Interactive Corp, Lonely Planet, and Dow Jones.
Connect with SRI
Join our network, or get in touch with us today.
Join SRI’s network
Unlocking exceptional performance in people, teams & organisations.
Get in touch
We’re happy to help.