World of Books
International expansion of a PE-backed eCommerce pioneer
Brian O’Connor, General Manager, North America, World of Books
Direct to Consumer
- Founded in the UK in 2005, World of Books became a pioneer in the “recommerce” space by creating an online marketplace for used books and supporting the charitable groups that collected them as donations. In 2018 the company became a certified B Corporation®, an award granted to businesses meeting the highest standards of verified social and environmental performance
- Backed by private equity firm Livingbridge, WoB looked to expand its footprint into the US market via an acquisition of company with a similar direct-to-consumer business
- Finding a US-based General Manager who could lead the operational integration of the newly acquired business and establish the World of Books brand in a critical new market
- Evaluating potential candidates both for their functional skills in ecommerce operations, marketing and general management as well as for their fit with the company’s mission and values as Certified B Corporation®
- World of Books hired Brian O’Connor who had previously served as COO and General Manager of Uncommon Goods, a DTC ecommerce company that also is recognized as Certified B Corp. Brian had previously held senior strategy, supply chain and business development roles for Pitney Bowes and Lucent Technologies.
Connect with SRI
Join our network, or get in touch with us today.
Join SRI’s network
Unlocking exceptional performance in people, teams & organisations.
Get in touch
We’re happy to help.