Hire an EVP, Global Gaming Lead to scale dentsu Groups newest venture in gaming
Brent Koning, EVP, Global Gaming Lead, dentsu gaming
- dentsu gaming is a start-up that lacked games industry know how and leadership. It is uniquely positioned ad gaming business, part of a global marketing services group, with its own games studio and development capabilities.
- SRI we were mandated to find a credible leader, to devise a global strategy, deliver a roadmap for growth, and a direction for this new global business. It required a candidate who understands brands, agency and the opportunities for brands in gaming. We had to deliver a senior executive from the video games industry.
- The client themselves saw this as a unicorn hire with a very limited talent pool
- The ideal candidate would have experienced life in both a matrixed global organization in the games industry, and also with brands in an ad / marketing agency
- Little flexibility outside of the brief, the board preferred a recognized figure head, with the ability to bring a large network, both in brands and in the games industry to develop new business
- Very difficult to move talent from the games publisher and developer side, into an ad agency
- Brent Koning, previously Global Head of Esports at Electronic Arts, and Head of Gaming at Encompass International, was successfully appointed as EVP, Global Gaming Lead